The Doric Columns
Milk Delivery boys in Torry in 1935 carrying various size cans for home deliveries. Looks like a fun job for the milkman on his single axle cart with a large churn for dispensing into the cans. Kirkhill Farm Dairy was on St Fittick's Road. Balanagask. The farmhouse itself, originating in the post medieval period, is not listed. The stonework making up the buildings and walls of the farmstead are of potential interest, with parts having perhaps been robbed from the nearby ruins of St. Fittick’s Church. In addition, a saddle quern stone was located on the south face of the boundary wall, towards its eastern extent. It was probably used for grinding corn, and dates to around AD 500, showing the longevity of farming activity in the locality of St. Fittick’s Church.
Known Aberdeen Dairies
Kirkhill Farm Dairy, Co-op, Balgownie Dairy, Green Dairy, Bishopston Dairy, Henderson's Great Western Dairy, Andersons Woodside Dairy, Dalry Dairy, Whitfield Dairy, Buttercup Dairy, Findlay's Dairy, Aberdeen Dairy, Dunottar Dairy, Kennerty Dairies, Meadow Dairy Company (controlled by Home and Colonial), Mastrick Dairy, Mansfield Dairy, Hilton Diary, Robert Coulters Westfield Dairy,
The tea merchant Julius Drewe (1866-1931) founded the Home and Colonial store chain in London in 1883 and retired in 1899. By the 20th century there were over 100 branches nationwide and Drewe was a millionaire.
A battle for the UK Margarine industry had taken place between Maypole and two Dutch firms, Jurgens and Van den Berghs. Home and Colonial, supplied by Jurgens, and Lipton, supplied by Van den Bergh, who introduced Blue Band, became the main rivals to Maypole in the margarine trade. A price war developed between them.
View of George Street with the Dunnottar Dairy shop on the front left. Bakers and Confectioners occupy the opposite corner and the old Chemist's Pestle and Mortar bowl sign is opposite as a universal advert for the apothecary.
Dairy Co of Leith,
at 463 Union Street next door to Marlowe's the Hairdresser and
The first Buttercup
Dairy Company shop was opened at 136 Commercial Street, Kirkcaldy in 1904
and by the late 1920’s the company had 250 shops spread across Scotland and the
north of England. The shops were all decorated
in the same style – predominantly
green and white tiles with ornamental inserts. The centrepiece was a mural
located on the wall of the entrance lobby; it showed a little girl in a
sunbonnet holding a buttercup under the chin of a cow, with the implied
question: “Do you like butter?” as most Aberdeen children still do. Each doorstep was decorated with Italian
mosaic tiles showing the company’s initials surrounded by a garland wreath. In
addition to the tiles the shops also had stained glass above the main display
window and, outside, a pair of electric light globes hung from each shop
front, emblazoned with the word “Butter”.
Andrew Ewing was the founder of the Buttercup
.Birnie was the name of a Ladies Hat Shop in George Street that would later become "the Rubber Shop" and right next-door to Birnies, at number 10A, was also a Buttercup Dairy shop.
Aberdeen Dairy right side of the Playhouse Cinema in Union Street - appears to be gated and shut
Hazelbank Dairy, was on the corner of Rosemount Terrace and Forbes Street. The Stills purchased it and bottled 100 gallons of milk a day, selling it at a penny a pint for full fat milk or a half-penny for skimmed. The milk was collected in 10-gallon cans from George Simpson’s farm at Altens. They also had great success with Maitland Mackie’s Fyvie Castle milk, which normally arrived with a thick layer of cream on top.
At the outbreak of World War II the Government introduced zoned areas for delivering milk. Ministry of Food Powdered milk was made available for baking.
Kennerty Dairies, was an Aberdeen based dairy company, and its name changed to Edinburgh Dairies. Kennerty’s operations were based on the East Coast of Scotland. They had a big yard on the corner of Thistle Place with horse drawn deliver carts in these days and the stables for the horses were just 100 yards away in Thistle Lane. Occasionally, a horse would escape from the stables and gallop down to the Dairy premises causing all sorts of consternation until it was caught. A Milk Churns developed in to milk bottles with cardboard stoppers which had a push out centre these were collected and ingeniously made into shipping bags with the addition of twine bindings.
67 to 73 Leadside Road - Robert Coulters Westfield Dairy, Ltd.
Dairy Water Tower Berryden 1928
Milkmen - the Aberdeen Whitefield Dairy was based at 9 Baker Street from 1902 to the 1920's. The dairymen were listed as Mr. Tough and Mr. Winches then.
In post war Aberdeen milk was mostly sold via the daily doorstep deliveries as very few houses had any refrigerator storage units until the arrival of pre-fabs. Sold initially in Quarts, Half Pints and Pints with cardboard seals that had a small circular knockout centre. These tops were often bound together with twine to make a really strong shopping bag by thrifty locals. The intelligent horse drawn cart was laden with milk crates and the horse soon learned its route and stage stopping points and would progress along without further instruction keeping up with the Milkman’s shuttling progress during his tenement landing deliveries and collection of empty bottles. You never had to walk back to collect the present electric Milk Float!
Co-op Milk Despatch Dock Drays at Berryden
Geo Hendersons Dairy & Grocers - 21-21A Chatton Place
John McBain's Green Dairy and Tearoom
Bishopston is set just on the south side of Aberdeen in Banchory-Devenick, it has been run as a dairy farm by the Groat family for generations.
Co-op Doorstep deliveries of milk from its dairy was achieved from a fleet of Clydesdale horse-drawn flat bed wagons; no mean feat when faced with deliveries to the Cairncry and Northfield heights.
School Milk was a welfare of children issue and provided a nourishing 1/3rd of a pint for each pupil during schooldays to assist with malnutrition and growing bones or teeth. Surplus milk resulting from absentees was issued as 2nd helpings to children of merit be they somewhat undernourished or simply helpful as milk Orderly’s who collected the crates and delivered them to the class. Each class row would lift their bottles in turn from under the blackboard. The empties would be returned to the delivery point for re-collection.
It provided a good energy boost in the mornings followed by ones 'playtime piece' and bottles provided great fun making drainage noises and blowing white bubbles with the dispensed straws while being consumed. Then making straw mannies with the damp straw and saving the cardboard tops for yer ma's twine shopping bag frame. These developed into Aluminium foil tops and these were all collected and compressed for scrap or the school metalwork foundry. Recycling at its best and learned at a very early age.
Maggie Thatcher put an end to the provision of milk for schools as being unnecessary waste of public money. Tell that to thirsty and hungry bairns of the post war era. But then 'we had never had it so good' as the Tories said with a majority of 120 in Parliament
Balgownie Dairy - The Collectable Milk Bottle with a Brig on it
631 George Street Balgownie Dairy Engineering Dept.
The Fittie fishers
The Spittal wabsters qiiat their looms.
The Braidgate sparks cam' braw and spruce,
They cam' frae north—they cam' frae south,
Findlay's - St Swithin Street
Note the elaborate horse trough and public fountain on the Castlegate.
Aberdeen Dairy Co., 477 Union Street
with questions or comments about the design
of this web site.