Regents Cinema (Odeon)
Regent Cinema on Justice Mill Lane
The Regents Cinema later to be the Odeon Cinema
- the Cast Iron Obelisk
in the middle of the street was a ventilation shaft for subterranean Electric
Lower Justice Mill, Union Glen. Justice Mills
of one kind or another are first mentioned in the
and were the site of a famous battle. In their final form, an
Upper Justice Mill
occupied a site now partially covered by the
at the bottom of the steep slope with its
above and behind it with a
water wheel centre).
The left hand part of the building and the wheel were removed when the
was built, the
was drained and a thoroughfare created into
but the central and right hand parts survived, albeit derelict, into the
The Odeon was demolished in 2002.
A local example of Art Nouveau is the cast-iron Electric Subway Ventilator at
the Holburn Street end of Justice Mill Lane.
It is understood that Mr T S Sutherland ARIBA 232a Union-street, Aberdeen is
Architect for the proposed new “Regent” cinema in Justice Mill Lane for Messrs
J R Poole
and Mr William Firth of Bradford.
The Regent Cinema in 1927, by Tommy Scott Sutherland (1899-1963), was built on
the site of the Upper Justice Mill, at the Holburn Street end of the ridge.
The Lower Justice Mill was down the brae in Union Glen; its mill-pond lay
between the 2 buildings. The 2 mills had been in operation well before
when they were granted to the Burgh of Aberdeen by
King Robert I,
(Robert the Bruce), and were still in operation 600 years later in the
The Lower Mill pond was drained and filled, the 3 streams diverted
and covered and the site was levelled by excavating it back towards Justice
Mill Lane. The Regent Cinema occupied the eastern part of the site
formerly occupied by the Upper Mill; the western part of the site is
occupied by the McClymont Hall. The frontage of the Regent Cinema
(latterly the Odeon) was of Rubislaw granite, decorated with bands
of red terracotta, with a polished black granite base. The vertical central
windows, giving the impression of height, became something of a Sutherland
trade-mark, later deployed to useful effect in the Kittybrewster Astoria
and the Majestic. The Regent opened on Saturday 27 February 1932,
a few months after the Palace. The building is now occupied by the
Cannon sports centre and health club. The new owners have renovated the
exterior to a high standard, extending to the rear of the car park, where it
abuts Union Glen.
The craze for all things
coincided with the spate of cinema construction in the
and was often incorporated into both exterior and interior designs, being very
apparent in the
and other chain-cinemas of the period.