Home Up Pre-History The District City Industry The Tenement Family Names North East Art

The Doric Columns


Correction Wynd

Correction Wynd. The House of Correction, founded in 1637 on the initiative of Provost Jaffray, stood nearby until 1711. It provided lodging and employment in the cloth industry for vagrants and delinquents.  So called because there was a 'House of Correction' for vagrants and delinquents active between  1637 and 1711 giving lodging and employment within the Cloth Trade. Steps lead down to Correction Wynd from Union Street opposite the building. The lower ground level of Correction Wynd still follows the Medieval street plan of the city. A `House of Correction' was founded on the site in 1637 and stood until 1711. A plaque on the wall of St Nicholas Kirkyard, which lines the left hand side of the Wynd, states that the house `provided lodging and employment in the cloth industry for vagrants and delinquents'. The loading bay and car-park behind No 19 Correction Wynd was formerly the site of St Thomas's Church (later the Free Melville).

 

The Mither Kirk was on a hill, with quite a steep drop into the valley of the Putachie Burn – as seen by the steps down the side of the kirk into Correction Wynd.  There was evidence that the ground was quite unstable and slightly boggy. It seems that, shortly after being built, the east end of the Kirk slipped into the valley. The surviving stonework clearly showed how the new east end, strengthened with buttresses, had been built into the older sidewalls. Some of the sidewalls have been retained.

The structure top right in this inset was originally the Forsythe Temperance Hotel at 100/102 Union Street since the 1840's

 

 

 

St Nicholas Lane runs into Correction Wynd

John Rattray, labourer, 30 Shuttle Lane, (Ran Parallel with East North Street) Aberdeen, was brought up on a charge of having on 9th November, in the Albert Hotel, Correction Wynd, Aberdeen , stolen £12 in money from Henry Forbes, labourer, Bridge of Dee, Kincardineshire. The prisoner admitted the charge. Mr A Emslie Smith, jun., Advocate, represented accused. He said the theft was the result of yielding to a sudden temptation. The 2 men, Rattray and Forbes, were drinking together, and Forbes, in pulling something out of his pocket, brought forth a bundle of notes, which dropped on the floor. The sudden temptation overwhelmed accused, who was now exceedingly penitent.  Most of the money had been recovered, and he asked the accused be granted the benefit of the First Offenders Act. A minister in town had offered to stand security for him, and as accused had a wife and children, he urged the Court to deal leniently with the offender. On the other side, the Procurator-fiscal described this as rather a mean theft. The theft was committed while Forbes was asleep, and after accused had been drinking at Forbes's expense. The Sheriff said he was unable to take that view of the case as presented by Mr Smith, and sentenced accused to 30 days' imprisonment.

The Green / Correction Wynd

Number 19 Correction Wynd/St Nicholas Lane makes effective use of its restrictive corner site, with its dominant tripartite corner bay prominently visible from Union Street.

The building is a good example of the work of Matthews and Mackenzie in the Classical Aberdeen tradition. From 1883 onward Mackenzie undertook virtually all of the design work of the Aberdeen office and became sole partner in 1897, going on to achieve his most distinguished work with the City Art Gallery and the Broad Street façade to Marischal College.


Send mail to jazzmaster@jazzeddie.f2s.com with questions or comments about the design of this web site.
Last modified: 01/09/2013