The Doric Columns
Aberdeen Dance Halls
Julian the Tank Bank (No.113) - (top left) he was given to Aberdeen at the end of the 1st World War - sited at the Broadhill and remained there until 1940 when taken for WW2 scrap. An area of Town around the Castlegate where Julian was stood in 1918 to sell War Bonds is still known as "the tank" site, £2 million was raised in a week in Aberdeen by Julian over £15 per head from the ever canny and ever frugal Aberdonian Population. The idea was that the City that invested in the most War Bonds got to keep Julian
The Beach Ballroom circa 1938
The official opening of the New Pavilion on 23 May 1929 took the form of a Masked Ball and carnival with costumes ranging from Louis XIV's Court to Sioux Indians and Shepherdesses. During World War II, the building was commandeered by the Admiralty, and re-opened at Christmas 1946. The ballroom floor, which floats on 1400 steel springs, was originally made of maple and was replaced in 1955'
Bands that appeared included -
The former Northern Hall of c1885. Sold to APP, Cl. 1940.
Ernest Bromberg was born in the late 19th century, although the year of his birth is unknown. He was the Proprietor of Aberdeen's 1st public Dance Hall, the Palais de Danse situated in Diamond Street, and converted from the premises of a local Taxi company. Bromberg was an avid Cinema enthusiast, and in February 1926 he began to hold events orientated towards the Cinema at the Palais. Notable examples were the Aberdeen Cinema Ball, at which prizes were awarded for the best likeness to film stars, and the Carnival that was organised to mark the release of the Charlie Chaplin film City Lights. Bromberg sold the Palais de Dance in 1949, and moved back to London. His links with the Cinema business in Aberdeen were not completely severed, however. He still owned the News Cinema, and a number of years later, he became involved in the exhibition of continental films in the city. For a number of years, continental films had struggled to find a market, but by the 1950s were becoming commercially viable.
Reid & Pearson Ltd, drapers, of Aberdeen was founded in 1905 closed 1955. In February 1949, it was acquired by the Scottish Drapery Corporation Ltd, a management holding company, of Edinburgh. In September 1952, the Scottish Drapery Corporation Ltd was acquired by House of Fraser Ltd, department store retailers, of Glasgow.
Former Kings Cinema 217 George Street
with questions or comments about the design
of this web site.