The Doric Columns
Strathdee Distillery 1821~1941
Strathdee Distillery : Gilcomston Other
Distillery - Cuparstone
Place, 100 Great Western Road, Aberdeen. Founded 1821 by Henry Ogg &
Brewing and Distilling Historian visited over 150 distilleries, and amongst
them were 129 Scottish distilleries. Of course he also visited the
The buildings are enclosed in a large yard, entered by a gateway from the main road. We commenced our inspection at the Grain Lofts, which are on the left-hand side as you enter, and are together 150 feet long by 40 feet wide, and capable of containing 1,200 quarters of barley. The Malting House is a 2 storey building, divided into 2 compartments, and there are large concrete Steeps on 3 of these Boors. The malt is elevated from the Boors direct on to the Kiln, which adjoins this building. It is 30 feet square, floored with wire cloth, and heated with peat and coke. The Malt Deposit adjoins the Kiln, into which the malt, when dried, is transferred by means of a Shute, and in close proximity is the Mill, which consists of a pair of huge Rollers, and placed immediately under the Mill Room. When the malt has been crushed by these Rollers it is raised by an Elevator, and passes into a hopper above, communicating with the Mash Tun. We then descended by a stair into the principal building, which is large and divided on the ground Boor into 3 compartments. In the east division of this building is the Still House, and on the floor over the Still House the Brew House. Here our guide pointed out to us the Mash Tun, a large vessel, with stirring gear driven by steam and drained by iron plates. Near the Mash Tun we saw two large heating Coppers, where the water for brewing is brought up to the proper heat the Underback, which is a metal vessel, is placed under the Mash Tun. The Worts are drained off from the Mash Tun into the Underback, and from it are run into large iron Coolers, supported on iron beams, which cover the whole of the western division of the building. The Fermenting Tuns are placed in the lower Boors of the building immediately below the Coolers, and into these Backs the Worts are run when of the proper temperature.
From the Fermenting Backs the Worts are pumped into the Chargers, which are placed in a separate building behind the Still House, but communicating with it. The Low-wines, as well as the Wash-chargers, are in this building, and from these both the Wash and the Low-wines are run by gravitation into the Stills. After leaving the Mash or Brew House, we examined the Tun Room, where there are 5 Washbacks, each holding 2,830 gallons.
In the Still House there are 3 old Pot Stills, 2 being Wash Stills, one holding 2,150 and the other 2,544 gallons respectively, and a Spirit Still of the capacity of 1,770 gallons. The Worm Tub consists of a spacious open concrete tank sunk in the ground. It adjoins the Still House, and through it runs the Mannofield Burn. The copper pipes in which the Low-wines and Spirits are cooled pre-sunk in this tank. Attached to each Still there is a Condensing Column or Refrigerator, in which the hot vapour is condensed before it reaches the cooling copper pipes, and from these the Low-wines and Spirits, when cold, are led into their respective receivers.
We then crossed the .yard to the Spirit Store, which adjoins the large Bonded Warehouses. It is a neat building and contains a Vat which holds 3,300 gallons. The Warehouses are extensive, dry, and well ventilated. At the time of our visit they contained 1,026 casks or 73,196 gallons of Whisky of various ages. There is a spacious Racking and Bottling Store, as Messrs. Ogg and Company do a large case trade. The water used for general purposes is from the Mannofield Burn, but that used for distilling purposes comes from the same source as the City water supply - the Dee.
The Whisky is Highland Malt, and the annual output is from 45,000 to 55,000 proof gallons. It is principally sold in Leith, London, and Liverpool.
with questions or comments about the design
of this web site.