The Doric Columns
John Lewis Shipyard
& Sons Ltd, Torry, Aberdeen, - mercantile, plus "War" coasters
company was started as a coal importer and trawler manager based at Albert
Quay on the south side of Aberdeen Harbour. John had been a wooden boat
builder in Cove. He then built up a marine engine production and repair business
1950s/60s The yard made a large number of trawlers and tugs until 1969 when it only built trawlers.
1970s The yard was taken over by the John Wood Group of Aberdeen in Summer 1972 who ended trawler building in 1976. However, the yard continued to be used by the company for their transport machinery and metal products interests.
In 1976 a new 1600 ton slipway was constructed by the Wood Group, suitable for the repair of offshore supply vessels. The yard then began to concentrate on such repair work, although it continued to build occasional vessels until the 1980s.
The shipbuilding firm of John Lewis & Sons Ltd. specialised in cargo and fishing vessels.
The family of Sir James Miller, the former Lord Mayer of London and Lord Provost of Edinburgh, donated half of the cost of this second schooner to the sister ship Sir Winston Churchill. She was named after Sir James' son who was tragically killed in a car accident at a young age. Her keel was laid in on the 23rd of March 1967 at the Aberdeen yard of John Lewis & Sons. She was launched on the 5th October 1967 and commissioned on the 10th of March 1968. Almost identical to her elder sister, she differed mainly in having slightly larger crew accommodation and square topped doors while the Churchill had round topped doors."
One of their most famous Trawlers was Fairtry
The trawler Fairtry was completed in 1954. This vessel was equipped for filleting and freezing its catch at sea. Fish meal and oil could also be produced. The blocks of filleted fish produced aboard Fairtry were used by Birdseye and Ross to make fish fingers. In 1972, John Lewis & Sons Ltd. was taken over by the Wood Group. The Group had a number of fishing industry interests, including vessel ownership and fish processing. However, by this date, it was expanding into services for the oil industry. In 1976 a new 1600 ton slipway was constructed by the Wood Group, suitable for the repair of offshore supply vessels. The yard then began to concentrate on such repair work, although it continued to build occasional vessels until the 1980s.
John Lewis Ltd. (Torry Coaling Co.), Coal Merchants, 186 Albert Quay.
Never Knowingly Undersold!
with questions or comments about the design
of this web site.