Much Moved & Much Loved
Irvine's view of Castle Street - 1812 with the New Inn centre and
the Castle Gate Well to the Right seemingly foreshortened in its width by
the Artist but noting its function as a popular meeting place.
a goldsmith who was in charge of the City's Water at the time.
(no longer functioning) re-located from East-end of the Castlegate, surmounted
by small semi-nude male lead figure. Square-plan with ogee cap.
Sandstone. Base course, deep cornice. Carved stone 'green-man' type antique
heads forming spouts at each corner of cap. Small carved lions head spout and
wrought iron lamp bracket to East face. Cast-iron hinged door opening to West face
with the City Coat of Arms.
originally at the East End of the Castlegate, this water cistern was the 1st
to provide piped water to the City. It is an important part of the City's
Engineering and Social history and forms a significant part of the streetscape.
The Well was originally to have a number of gilt figures but the cost of £1,571
proved too much and a single figure, locally know as 'The Mannie' was erected.
On special days, the carved heads at the corners spouted water. The Well
was fed by springs from
to the West of the city, and the water was brought by 6 lead pipes to the well.
Previous to this, the city had been supplied by water from local Lochs, Burns
and Ancient Wells. The cistern was
moved to The Green in
where a handle on the side of the
could be turned to provide spring or River water. The Well remained at the
when it was moved to its current position, back in Castle Street.
Mannie is the only example of leaden sculpture in the city. In 1706 work
began on laying lead water pipes from outside the city to a new fountain in the
Castlegate. The statue itself was added to the top of the fountain some time
after 1710. A wooden statue had originally been planned but the carver
never executed the work and so a lead sculpture was erected.
was a central part of the Burgh’s water supply. In the late 18th century a
lead figure, commonly known as the
was added to the top of the well. The Mannie and Well were moved to the Green
and then returned to the Castle Street in
the Check-raw (cobbled surface nearby)
On days of rejoicing the
would spout water
no doubt from his left hand as did the 4 'Antique' heads on the
corners. The purpose of the bracket at the front was the remainder of a
gas Lamp frame to furnish light above the fountain. The much altered old Fountain Front was
as a result of various fonts, one a matching head similar to the corner fountainheads.
The Fountain - Originally
in the Castlegate by
William Lindsay, Overseer of Aberdeen's Water
Taken down in
1841 when the
Market Cross was moved further
East. Re-erected in
1852 and then re-erected in
1972/3 in a more westerly location.
at the Mannie on the Green;
Oh, Ancient "Mannie," still dost
Above the truck and chaffer of the "Green,"
Have pity on thy sister, for the tide
Is at her
lips, and she must perish e'en
The Green - later in its history - the
In the Green'
which was a water fountain marking an earlier
site was generally covered in
green algae due to its fountain spillage and relatively dark location with the
penetrating sun being blocked by high buildings on 3 sides.
It was eventually returned to
Is it destined to be decamped again to the
like so many of our past Street Monuments by Municipal planners ever toying with
our street squares to suit their transient whims.
In this picture the sandstone surface
appears to have been damaged, perhaps by a swinging cast iron cup on an adjacent
hook but now missing - or removed. The much often modified or replaced
fountain head didna help..
John Falconer's - Well Groomed Horse stands by the 'Mannie' Well looking East
much moved and yet much loved Fiscal Furniture has been re-sited like a pawn piece in
areas throughout its life from the Castlegate to the Green and this location may
have been its longest residence before being returned to another more
'convenient' site on Castle
It seems to show peripheral use as a urinal looking at the stains
on the sides. John McBain's Green Dairy and Tea Room trades at No.37 on the
corner of Correction (House) Wynd and seems to have just taken a delivery of Aberdeen Rowies from the lad with a Bakers tray on his head. Cadbury's Chocolate
and Lyons Tea are advertised.
A Bicycle leans against the shop front and a
Hand Cart and Wheel Barrow are parked no doubt by customers. Another
bicycle stands on the kerbside behind the Mannie. The much altered
fountain appears to flow unrestricted or the tap mechanism has been jammed open
and liberally inundates the paving slabs and cassies.
The lamp bracket has
long since lost its lamp. Little sunshine penetrated this ravine of a
The inhabitants were originally supplied with water from
Wells sunk in various
parts of the town, and from a large cistern in
the Water House
in Broad Street,
containing more than 30,000 gallons; but the quantity being found inadequate to
the increasing population, works were constructed by commissioners for bringing
a supply from the
and steam-engines erected at the north end of the old
Bridge of Dee,
to which the water is conveyed by a tunnel about 500 yards in length, into which
it enters, not directly from the river, but after passing through a filtering
bed of sand. The engines, of which there are 2, of
each, can raise, in 24 hours, a supply of 1.1 Million gallons of water,
thence forced into a new
at the west end of the then
which has an elevation of 40 feet above the level of the street, and 130 feet
above that of the engine, and from which the water is distributed through the
city by cast-iron pipes.
Easy Parking on a non market day and ready water
from the added Wallie (Water Hydrant) at the Mannie in the green
The bridging walk with the arched and partly open window was the corridor access to the upper
level of the New Market near its
entrance with a flight of stairs at its end leading to the the Stamp Collectors
Shop. The original well spout and trough appear to have been removed in
favour of the
A welcome human and animal drinking feature of Aberdeen streets till the 50's.
The Ancient wrought Iron Lamp Bracket and frame hang over the repaired location
of original fountain trough. An ornate 'C Little' - Cafe window dominated
the corner of the Union Street building selling its facility which could be
accessed from the flight of steps on the North side of
The Cast iron frame bridge with arched window
above was a walkway
access from Union Street to the upper floor of the New Market passing a coin slot
machine which would animate a Fire Brigade's 1st Floor Ladder Rescue scene for the
wide eyed bairn's to marvel at for the price of a penny. The access below
leads to a steep ascent Carnegie Brae/Netherkirkgate and the
Cold Storage vaults