The Doric Columns
Royal Northern Club ~ 1854
The Northern Club was founded in 1854 by 116 Members of whom the great majority were local gentry and proprietors. Heading the list came the Lords Hay and Haddo, the Earl of Kintore, Sir Alexander Burnett of Crathes and the Marquis of Huntly. There were Advocates and Bankers, the latter including the 1st Secretary, Robert Grigor, and a number of leading manufacturers, Provost Blaikie, Frederic Holland of Richards, Alexander Pirie and Alexander Hadden. The upper echelons of the Army and Navy were represented by Rear Admiral Leith and Major General Turner. The inaugural meeting of the Club was held on 1st May 1854.
The Club's 1st home was a prestigious building, situated on the corner of Union Terrace and Union Street which was the Town house of Lumsden of Belhevie. In 1863 the Club was placed at the disposal of Her Royal Majesty, Queen Victoria, when she came to unveil the statue of her beloved Albert, who had died of typhoid in 1861. In recognition of the Club's hospitality, she graciously bestowed her Patronage on the Club, which then became The Royal Northern Club.
In 1874 the Club moved to 204 Union Street.
By 1840, it had passed to Sir Charles Bannerman of Elsick (1782-1851) and the original arched entrances to the garden behind were replaced by the 2 wings seen in this photo.
it was the 2nd home of the Royal Northern Club until it moved again in
1955. Plans were submitted in 1959 for its demolition,
along with the YMCA next door, to make way for what - a supermarket?
Demolition of the Royal Northern Club, 204 Union St 1963
The University Club, was founded in 1889, was originally in Union Street, moving to Union Terrace in 1893 and then to Rubislaw Terrace in 1923. In 1955 to moved to its present location in Albyn Place.
The Royal Northern Club had kept pace with the changing times and moved to new premises in 1955 at Albyn Place.
The 2 Clubs amalgamated in 1979, and it was decided to retain only No. 9 Albyn Place.
Present location in 9 Albyn Place.
A History was published in 1989, and a copy presented to the Patron, His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, at a ceremony held in the Club, to celebrate the granting of the Club's Coat of Arms. Renowned for its fine cuisine, superb entertaining, accommodation and dignified atmosphere, The Royal Northern & University Club has kept pace with the changing times.
The beam balance with Counterweight Jockey Weighing Machine, gifted by the Officers of the 1st Gordon Highlanders in 1903, sat in the hallway of the Royal Northern Club. Was this device used to weigh the Gordon's Officers for suitable sized horses or for weighing Jockey's racing at the Queens Links Race Course?
Victorian Jockey Chair Weighing Scale by Ironmongers & Electrical Engineers, Killpin & Billson.
Tiger oak with original Leather Seat, pin stripping and decals.
Dimensions. 33-1/2 X 36-1/2 X 24 inches.
with questions or comments about the design
of this web site.