The Doric Columns
Aberdeen from the South by James William Giles 1801-1870 from a location on Torry Hill above Craiglug looking out across the River Dee valley with St Clements Church in Fittie on the right and the Tollbooth Spire centre and to its right Castle Hill.
The Foundry chimney stacks indicate the industrial sites in Footdee. The north bank is shown as woodland which may be artistic licence for the artists period.
Tullos Hill was the location of an anti-aircraft battery and later a prisoner of war camp in World War II. A few remnants of hut bases from that era survived on the hill. A heavy anti-aircraft battery is situated some 300m SW of the summit of Tullos Hill. The position consisted of a full battery of 8 gun emplacements in an S shape, 5 in the same field as the present Peterseat Cottage and 3 in the field to the NE. The command position was central to the group of 5 emplacements and the accommodation camp was situated on both sides of a field boundary 150m to the NW. The remains of the battery are visible on aerial photograph flown 1946.
1949 - A report on the sudden and serious diminution in work at Tullos Factory Limited, Aberdeen, which made agricultural and other machinery for both Home and Export use; the resulted in a 1/3rd of the 400 workforce being laid off. Formerly Government owned it had been sold to private owners.
Near Abbotswell there was a Chapel and Burial-place, the ruins of which are recorded as visible towards the end of the 17th Century, while the old name of the burn, which enters the Dee opposite Duthie Park, "the Spital Burn," suggests the hospital or lodging for pilgrims, which once stood on its banks. Abbotswell derives from the historical association with the Abbey of Arbroath. In particular this name is an echo of the place name Abbots Walls and is supposed to recollect the walls of the residence that the Abbot of Arbroath Abbey used when visiting his lands. Although the exact location of that building is now lost to us, as a place name it 1st occurs on maps from about the 18th century.
On the panels of a Memorial at Nigg Church in Kincorth are
recorded the names and places of origin of those who fell in both World Wars.
There are no references to ranks or units, only to Farms or Districts in the
Diversion of the
The North Piers
Harbour Bar 1880
Upper & Lower Torry
Historical records show that people have been living in Torry since at least the 12th century. However some archaeological finds show that people have been living in this area since at least 8000-10000 years ago. Historically Torry developed as 2 separate Towns known as Upper and Nether (Lower) Torry. What we call ‘Old Torry’ developed from Nether Torry, whilst Upper Torry was located roughly in the area of the west end of Sinclair Road. Torry is 1st mentioned in a document dated 1484 although by that time the Town was probably already of some age. By the 18th century the land was in part owned by the City of Aberdeen and the Lairds of Pitfodels (the Menzies family) on the other. Problems arose from legal disputes between the 2 parties as to exactly what bits of land they owned and eventually, after arbitration, the lands were split between the 2 owners. Aberdeen got the Coastal Area and Menzies Lairds of Pitfodels the Riverside Areas. What we know as Old Torry developed in the early 19th century out of the old medieval settlement of Nether Torry, whilst what we call Torry today is a product of the late 19th century when the area began to expand rapidly. New streets were laid out forming the pattern we are familiar with today and services and amenities followed. In 1891 Torry (Kincardineshire) was amalgamated with the City of Aberdeen.
Victoria Road - This was one of the 1st streets to be developed when ‘new’ Torry began to develop in the late 19th century. As the population of Aberdeen grew and as there were advances in fishing technology, there was a need for new space. After some very controversial debate, a private company, The Torry Land Association, purchased the land previously occupied by Torry Farm. The 1st houses on what would become Victoria Road, No.s 104 and 110, were built after 1883, by Calder Duncan and David Alexander. However, the original villas have since been demolished and replaced by tenements. After Victoria Road, the next streets to develop were Menzies Road and Walker Road. Victoria Road retains something of a village feel to it along with its grand 19th century tenements. The illustration depicts the Torry Farm as a Cemetary with Obelisk in Memory of the 'Founder 1869' with signs declaring 'Cheap' and 'to be fued cheap' with the New Victoria Bridge, the Railway and the Wellington Bridge at Craiglug.
Victoria Road - Archibald Simpson laid out Victoria Road in Torry as the community grew in the 19th century with the booming trawling industry. Torry had a Charter as a Burgh of Barony from about 1495, which entitled the Burgh to hold a weekly market and control trades and crafts in the area. Torry merged with the City in 1891, but did not see a motor bus service until 1921.
As late as 1893, when horse trams were established in the town centre, the inhabitants of the growing suburb of Torry successfully petitioned for a horse bus service, passenger fares being set at one penny with creels a penny extra. The service operated from Guild Street to avoid the steep ascent of Market Street, and was much favoured on public holidays for picnics at the Bay of Nigg. By 1891, the Burgh boundaries had extended to absorb Old Aberdeen, Woodside, Ruthrieston, Ferryhill and Torry, the total now named the Municipal Burgh of Aberdeen. Population in these outlying areas was growing fast. Torry's population of 473 in 1861 had increased to 2933 by 1891, largely associated with the newly completed Albert Basin and re-located Fish Market. Between 1871 and 1891, the population of Aberdeen had risen from 88,198 to 124,943, and by 1901 it reached 153,503. Like other cities in Great Britain, Aberdeen was rapidly expanding, with the result that parts of the City were no longer served by the existing tramways. At a council meeting in 1921 it was therefore decided to open out all new routes with buses. The 1st bus ran between Castle Street and Footdee on 10th January 1921. Six months later, as the bus fleet increased, the service was extended to Balnagask Road, Torry. As was so often the case, there was direct competition between trams and buses.
Shop 203 Victoria Road
75 Victoria Road
Torry Map of 1901 showing Victoria Road, Menzies Road, Walker Road and Grampian Road. A Football and Cricket Ground adjoins the River Bank at Sinclair Road but soon succumbed to the demands of the Fishing Industry for processing and fish box manufacture. Smoke Houses were built along Sinclair Road and Crombie Road was introduced.
Torry includes a large housing estate developed as a "garden suburb" to relieve overcrowding in Aberdeen. It is famous for its fishing community and still has a number of fishing businesses operating close to the Dee. However, most of the old fishermen's cottages of Old Torry have been swept away by 1st the re-channelling of the River Dee, then later by the fast developing Fishing Industry, Torry was also home to the Fisheries Research Laboratory, as well as Craiginches Prison.
Torry Fire and
Police Station, 1891
Police and Fire Station, 1898
Torry Auxiliary Fire Station, World War II
The Aberdeen Preserving Co. Ltd., South Esplanade West, Torry, Aberdeen
Menzies Road 1906 - Named after the Menzies Dynasty. The Menzies family owned much of Nigg from about 1750. In 1875 the City acquired all the land to the east of Mansefield Road. The Menzies kept the rest and gave their name to this street.
At the corner of Walker Road was a shop of A.W Scott, Fruitier, .
Victoria Bridge was erected following the Dee Ferry Boat Disaster, which claimed the lives of 32 people on 5 April 1857. The Ferry Boat had for centuries crossed from Pocra Quay (on the north side of the mouth of the Dee) to Torry (on the south side). A packed boat on 5 April, a Feastday, had gone down, claiming the lives of some 32 people. There had been plans for some time for a new bridge across to Torry but this disaster provided the final impetus for building one. Victoria Bridge was formally opened 2 July 1881. It was partly funded by public contribution and partly by the Corporation of Aberdeen. The link provided by the bridge allowed direct access for carriages from Torry, via Market Street, to the heart of Aberdeen. Its opening was very timely and greatly facilitated the rapid expansion of Torry in the following years.
The 1st Electric Tram service to Torry
it ran from
St Fittick's Road
was linked up with the main network via
a mirror being provided on the single-track at the foot to enable the driver to
see around the sharp corner to avoid any oncoming Traffic with the lead overhang.
The Torry Picture House, Crombie Road, Torry
Opened 2nd May 1921. Renovated, 1939 and renamed Torry Cinema. Closed 24th September 1966. Converted into shops. It was a a bit of a 'catch up if ye missed it Cinema' - re-runs of out of date films - Donald's re-cycled tired old films that had exhausted their potential on the circuit elsewhere in the City first.
As early as 1910 Torry had its own cinema. The Torry Skating Rink Syndicate used its premises on Sinclair Road, calling them Torry Picture Palace.
The 1st World War eventually ended this venture. After the War, on 2 May 1921, a new cinema was opened, the Torry Picture House on Crombie Road. This later changed its name to the Torry Cinema.
Throughout the 1920s a band played accompaniment to the films shown at the Picture House. ‘Talkies’ were introduced on 15 September 1930, with ‘The Trial of Mary Dugan’.
The Cinema closed on 24 September 1966.
Torry and Casino
cinemas were designed with a
The Casino kept most of it's design to the end but the Torry Cinema having a
makeover around the same time as the
and used virtually the same design and colour scheme. They were very
contemporary designs and changed or hid much of the original inside fittings.
Crombie Road Sawmill
Sinclair Road Box Fabrication Works.Cordiner's started life in 1870 as a small boat building business in Aberdeen. Today, over 135 years and 5 generations later, their Timber Business in Sinclair Road is still run by the Cordiner family.
'David Morrlce'. baptised at Aberdeen In October, 1789, was brief to the Law in his native place, and was, in 1776, admitted Advocate in Aberdeen, under the designation of "David Morrice, Jr,' to differentiate him from his cousin, David Morice, afterwards of Tullos, who, some 12 years before 1776, had been admitted a member uf the same legal fraternity. These 2 related limbs of the law were, however, better known by the familiar appellations of Muckle Davie and Little Davie" Morrice. David Morrice, Jr, was for several years a Clerk, (along with Mr. Thomas Duncan, Advocate), of the Incorporated Trades of Aberdeen; where he is recorded to have engaged In business, as a Merchant and Dealer in Victuals, with unlucky results. In after years when advancing in age and retrograding in worldly circumstances, Little Davie Morice, the brother of Mrs Abercrombie. took up his abode at the Manse of Kincardine O'Neil with his cousin, the Reverend William Morrice. Minister of that Parish, and died there, unmarried, about, or prior to 1810. Muokle Davie Morrice was apparently a very different character from his cousin and namesake;- if not exactly ‘a real wit.’ David Morioe, Sr, seems lo have been possessed of a considerable fund of humour, with perception to comprehend, and sense to enjoy, a joke even when he was himself the subject of it; as the following anecdote, which he was, it is said, ever ready to relate:-
Although somewhat taller in person than his kinsman David Morrice, Jr, the stature of even "Muckle Davie" was the reverse of gigantic. It was, some many vears ago, the habit of the citizens of Bon-accord to take a daily walk, before their then customary dinner hour, on the " Plainstones," a considerable space of ground, paved with smooth flagstones, raised a foot or more above the level of Castle Street, in front of the Town House of Aberdeen. The promenade thus resorted to become also, the convenient place for the Citizens being readily met with by strangers resorting to the Town. On a certain Friday - then and still the weekly market day in Aberdeen,- a farmer who had some business to transact with "Muckle Davie," having missed him at his own place of business, had gone to the Castlegate in quest of Sheriff Morrice. Not being acquainted with the personal appearance of the same, The rustic addressed the first gentleman he encountered on the Plainstones, with the query, "Can ye tell me. Sir, which is Muckle Davie. Morrice replied ‘That I can easily do, my friend," was the response, "for I am myself the man." The Sherriff's interlocutor, scanning with a look of aroused wonder at he brevity of stature of the person to whom he had addressed himself and slowly replied 'By my troth, Sir! - if ye be Muokle Davie Morrice, ! would just like to see Little Davie. "
Kincorth - From at least 1510 there was a Mill serving the farmers. In that year the Mill was leased to Walter Sinclair, and his son Robert, along with salmon fishing rights and half the revenue from the Ferry over the Dee in return for 35 shillings 8 pence and 16 barrels of salmon yearly. From 1527 there was an ‘aylhous’, with a brewery, in Kincorth as well. All of these features point to a developing, thirsty and prosperous settlement!
Kincorth Farm - In 1891 the then farmer Mr Forrest paid rent to the Bakers' Trade Guild. His last will and testament exists dated 1881. In 1813 an Alex Forrest, in Kincorth, appears as a regular witness in several Public records. He may have been a Church Elder or literate local employer and community representative who lived at Kincorth Farm with his family.
with questions or comments about the design
of this web site.