The Doric Columns
Street tramways, 2 miles, 54 chains long, on the line of Union, King, St Nicholas, and George Streets, were opened in 1874, and extended to Mannofield in 1880, their aggregate cost of construction being £18,791, whilst, in the year ending June 1879, the passengers numbered 957,115, and the receipts amounted to £5080, the expenditure to £3959.
ABERDEEN TRAMWAYS – A SELECTED TIMELINE
31 Aug 1874 The 1st routes opened from
North Church to Queen’s Cross and from St Nicholas to Causewayend
The Aberdeen Suburban Tramways operated 2 electric tramway services between 1904 and 1927. The Suburban Tramways operated two separate tramway services, which were essentially extensions from the terminus of the Corporation Tramways Routes. The first was from the Great Western Road terminus to Bieldside church. The second was from the Great Northern Road terminus to Stoneywood church. The company had a fleet of 11 trams for these 2 services. The services stopped running on 2 June 1927, a year after the Corporation had terminated the through running arrangements.
28 Apr 1913 First city in
Europe to introduce "Pay as You Enter" system
Hazlehead Terminus Route 4 - the tree lined avenue of Hazlehead with two lines converged into one just opposite the tram shelter for passengers to alight or board adjacent to the park entrance. The field opposite once held the Scottish Agricutural Show in the 50's which became a quagmire on the day. On the other side of the trees was the Pitch and Putt course. The shelter was a rustic style construction with tree trunk pillars and arches
On 30th April 1921, a bus service was started between the Rubislaw tram terminus near Bayview Road and Hazlehead to link up the City with Aberdeen's newly acquired estate there. Owing to Hazlehead's great popularity and the consequent demand for increased travelling facilities, it was decided to double the tram track between Queen's Cross and Rubislaw and extend the tram track from Rubislaw terminus as it was realised that the heavy demand, especially at weekends, could be best met by the tramcar with its large seating capacity.
As soon as the decision was made, and in spite of opposition from local bus operators, the track was extended 2 miles 56.18 chains [4.35 km) to the two termini at Woodend and Hazlehead. The last half mile of the Hazlehead section was on reserved track, and the terminus was provided with a station; (sidings were built in 1948). The work was pushed on with all possible speed, and on 16th July 1924 the extension was formally declared open by Lord Provost Sir William Meff who drove the 1st car to Hazlehead. The bus service was discontinued.
ABERDEEN’S TRAM DEPOTS
Fountainhall Tram Depot
The Suburban depot was just off Oldmeldrum Road.
The Corporation depot opened in 1901 and closed in 1953
The Dee Village depot opened in 1904 and was disused by 1925
The depot opened in 1920 and is now the global HQ of First Group
The District depot opened in 1880 and closed in 1958. The Suburban depot was beside Morningside Road
The District’s main depot opened in 1874 and closed in 1958
The depot opened in 1904 at North Esplanade / Palmerston Quay and was the paint shop from 1910 to 1931
CelebratingHorse Drawn Tram outing in Alford Place possibly on Last Tram Day
An evocative selection of film recapturing the glory days of Aberdeen trams including archive footage (the earliest dating from 1906) together with detailed coverage of the services abandoned between 1954 - 1958.
In 1954 take a trip round
the Rosemount Circle (3, 5, 6)
Supreme Act of Fiscal Vandalism
FERRYHILL ROUTE - Whinhill Road
to Castle Street.
MANNOFIELD ROUTE - Castle Street to Mannofield.
The cars of the Company run into Castle Street, and are distinguished from the City cars by being painted red. The beauty of the district and the charming views to be got have made this route a favourite one with the citizens. On leaving Mannofield the large storage reservoirs in connection with the city water supply from the Dee at Cairnton (21 miles) are passed. The capacity of the 2 reservoirs is 18,000 gallons. The water supply was inaugurated by the late Queen Victoria on i6th October, 1866.
Immediately on passing the waterworks, on the other side of the Railway line is a bit of rising ground formerly known as the Two Mile Cross, it was here that Montrose made his camp for nearly a week in September, 1644, before and after the Battle of the Justice Mills. From many points of the route excellent views can be obtained on a clear day of the lower Deeside hills, such as Cairn-mon-Earn (1245), Kerloch (1747), Clochnaben (1750), and Mount Battock (2555). At Pitfodels is 'Norwood House, on a high bank overlooking the river, and occupying the site of the old Castle of Pitfodels, the home of the Menzies family for over 3 centuries. Cults is a growing village with many pretty villas, occupied principally by business and professional men from the city. A beautiful view of the river is obtained from this point, with the Suspension Bridge and road leading to the south side of the river. Views can also be obtained of Ardo House, and, a little further west, of Blair s College. The old house of Blairs was gifted by Mr. John Menzies for a Catholic College, and opened in 1829. The College was endowed by Mr. Menzies with the Estates of Blairs and Charlestown, and quite recently the present handsome buildings and chapel were erected for the purpose of allowing the work of the College to be properly carried out. Among the treasures of the College is a library of over 15,000 volumes and an authentic portrait of Mary Queen of Scots. The terminus of the suburban line is at present at Bieldside, where there is a private golf course between the railway and the river belonging to the Deeside Golf Club.
Mannofield Church - Aberdeen had horse drawn trams but these were replaced by electric trams from 1899, the Mannofield route changing in 1902. Originally open-topped, the trams were largely covered over by 1909. An obviously converted tram is seen in front of Mannofield Church, which at the time this was posted in 1918 there were few houses beyond it. The church replaced a wooden building and seats 700 but when it opened on 30 July 1883 there were only 92 communicants. The West window is dedicated to Miss Gardon, who died in 1892. the wooden church was used in other sites before being demolished in 1969.
with questions or comments about the design
of this web site.