Home Up Pre-History The District The Streets City Industry The Tenement Family Names North East Art

The Doric Columns


Woodside Route

WOODSIDE ROUTE - St. Nicholas Street to Woodside, Woodside to Bankhead.

Route 7 - St. Nicholas Street, George Street, Powis Terrace, Great Northern Road, Woodside. Woodside to Bankhead.

The cars on this route start from St. Nicholas Street at its junction with Union Street, and they pass along one of the busiest thoroughfares in the city George Street. The building on the left at the terminus is the head office of the Town and County Bank, a local bank established in 1825, and a little further on is the Neiherkirkgate, one of the ancient streets of the City, across which one of the Ports stood. On the left is Correction Wynd, so named from the House of Correction, established here by the Magistrates in the early part of the 17th century. At Hutcheon Street, which crosses George Street at right angles, there is on the right the Comb Works, the largest of their kind in the Kingdom, of S. R. Stewart & Co., Ltd., while on the left is the linen manufactory known as Broadford Works, of Richards, Ltd. The name Broadford is reminiscent of a period when the condition of things was very different from what now exists, for at one time all the district to the right and left was covered by a large sheet of water known as the Loch. The northern boundary was about the line of Hutcheon Street, where there was a ford on the road leading from the Gallowgate towards the Barkmill. As the car approaches Kittybrewster the railway line on the right is the goods branch of the Great North of Scotland Railway from Waterloo Quay, while that on the left is the passenger line from the Joint Station.  Kittybrewster is one of the goods depots of the railway and a centre for the cattle trade, which is responsible for the large number of auction marts in this district, where *'prime Aberdeenshire" is bought and sold for disposal in the  south markets.  A fine view is obtained at Kittybrewster,. looking eastwards, where Powis House, embowered in foliage, is seen in the foreground, with the crown of King's College and the towers of the Cathedral appearing behind, and the sea as a background.  After passing Kittybrewster School, one of the more recent specimens of Aberdeen's elementary public schools, the valley of the Don begins to open up, and the first of the paper mills - the Donside Paper Mills - is seen to the right.  

Tram at the Fountain Area of Woodside with the Imperial Hotel in the background

The route now passes through Woodside which till 1891 was a separate Police Burgh, with a population at that time of about 6,500. The district possesses a public park, the Stewart Park (13 acres), opened in 1893 during the Provostship of Sir David Stewart, after whom the park is named.  Woodside has also a fine library, the gift of one of her talented sons - the late Sir John Anderson, of the Arsenal, Woolwich. At Station Road a glimpse is got of the large works known as Grandholm Mills, carried on by J. & J. Crombie, Ltd., tweed and woollen manufacturers. The terminus of the Corporation tramways is close to Anderson Road, by which the Stewart Park can be most easily reached.  As on the Deeside route, the Aberdeen Suburban Tramways have here a connection with the city system, and the journey can be continued to Bankhead.

Leaving Woodside, the valley of the Don is particularly well seen, and presents in the activities carried on along its banks a striking contrast to the Dee valley. The manufacture of paper in this district dates back to 1696, when Patrick Sandilands of Cotton erected a mill at Gordon*s Mills for the purpose. About 1770 new mills were erected at Stoneywood, and in 1821 paper making was begun at Mugiemoss, and from these beginnings have been built up the large businesses of Alexander Pirie & Sons, Ltd., at Stoneywood Works, and that of C. Davidson & Sons, Ltd., at Mugiemoss Works.   Near Persley Station a road on the right crosses the Don by a bridge erected in 1892, which gives access to the north bank of the river, and in the summer time to a delightful walk through Persley Den.  The district is also well known for its granite quarries, which can be seen on both sides of the river, the principal quarries on the route being Persley, Cairncry, and Dancing Cairns. On passing the latter quarry a new industry will be seen in the works of the Dancing Cairns Adamant Paving Company, where an excellent stone for pavements is being manufactured from the refuse heaps of the quarry.   The car now reaches the village of Bucksburn, and at the division of the roads there will be seen to the left the Hill of Brimmond (870 feet), which marks the limit of the ancient Freedom Boundary of the city, and over which on rare occasions  the Town Council still "ride the marches."  On the slope of the hill will be observed the Church of New hill by which has for its endowment 700 hundred acres left by George Davidson of Pettens, a Burgess of Aberdeen, in 1662. The ruins of the old church, built by Davidson in the above year, are still to be seen a little distance behind the present church. The terminus of the line is reached at the village of Bankhead, which is occupied principally by the workers in the paper mills.  Return to the city can be made by the suburban trains of the Great North Railway, whose station is close to the car terminus.

Woodside
The District depot opened in 1881 and closed in 1955


Send mail to jazzmaster@jazzeddie.f2s.com with questions or comments about the design of this web site.
Last modified: 01/09/2013