Home Up Pre-History The Streets City Industry The Tenement Family Names North East Art

The Doric Columns


WOODSIDE

Woodside, a police Burgh in Old Machar Parish, Aberdeenshire, near the right bank of the Don, 2 miles NNW of the centre of Aberdeen, and included within its parliamentary boundary. It has a Post Office, with money order, Savings' Bank, and Telegraph departments, a station on the Great North of Scotland Railway, a branch of the Aberdeen Town and County Bank (1880), extensive paper works, a valuable Free Library (1881), the gift of Sir John Anderson, a large public school, an Established Church (1846; made quoad sacra 1862), a Free church, a U.P. church (1879), a Congregational Church, and St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church (1842). Pop. (1871) 4290, (1881) 5452;  (1881) 5928.

A northern linear suburb of Aberdeen drawn out along the south bank of the River Don between Old Aberdeen and Bucksburn, Woodside developed as a separate Mill Village from the late 18th century in association with Cotton spinning, Bleaching, Papermaking, Iron Founding and the Aberdeenshire Canal, which gave the settlement its linear morphology. The Canal was replaced by the railway and, in 1891, Woodside was incorporated into the City of Aberdeen. Thereafter Tenement blocks were introduced as part of an ambitious re-housing scheme, although at a low density following 'Garden City' principles. Today the Great Northern Road (A96) runs through the area, in many ways defining it, and supports many shops. Woodside House dates from c.1850 but lies on the site of an earlier property, while Grandholm Mill dates from 1797.

Astoria Cinema with the Mart beyond and original Site of the Woodside Fountain now conveniently displaced to Duthie Park

The amalgamation of Woodside (along with Torry and Old Aberdeen) into the City of Aberdeen was in 1891.

There was a solitary place called Woodside, west of Deer Road and near the Riverside. East of Deer Road and near the River Don there was another solitary place called Printfield; and east of Don Street there was a 3rd place called Upper Cotton. It had nothing to do with cotton or its manufacture, for it was a corruption of a Gaelic word "cuitan" meaning small fold. In the course of 50 years there had sprung up along Great Northern Road 3 villages:- Woodside, west of Deer Road, also called Barron Street; Printfield, east of Deer Road, also called Hadden Street; and Cotton, east of Don Street, also called Wellington Street. These 3 streets are now collectively called Great Northern Road, and the 3 separate places now collectively bear the name of Woodside.

WOODSIDE, lately a quoad sacra parish, in the parish of Old Machar, City, District, and County of Aberdeen; containing 4839 inhabitants. This place, which derives its name from the seat of the principal landed proprietor, was separated for ecclesiastical purposes from Old Machar, and erected into a quoad sacra parish, by act of the General Assembly in 1834. The district is nearly 2 miles in length and about 1-1/4 in breadth, is bounded on the north by the river Don, and consists principally of 3 contiguous farming villages, extending along the line of the Great North Road; the principal is Woodside, and the others are called respectively (Nether) Cottown (Cotton) and Tanfield. These villages, which are neatly built, and light with gas from the works at Aberdeen, consists of detached houses, and a few small streets intersecting the turnpike-road at right angles; and are inhabited mostly by persons employed at the Grandholm Works in the vicinity, and in the spinning and weaving of cotton in the village of Woodside.

Woodside Cotton Works where cotton manufacture was introduced to Aberdeen in 1779. By 1822 more than 3000 people were employed here. It closed in 1851

Woodside Cotton Mill c.1787 before the chimney was added by Alexander Pirie with the advent of steam power in the 1870's.  St Machar's Cathedral is possibly visible in the distance.  It lay between the Banks of the River Don and the Aberdeen Canal

Woodside Cotton Mill, driven by water from by the River Don  (Inset - Later became Pirie's).  The cotton-works were erected by Messrs. Gordon, Barron, and Company, of Aberdeen, who also established Printing and a Bleach-field here; the factory is driven by a water-wheel of 180-horse power, and by a steam-engine lately erected, and affords employment to 960 persons, of whom 56 are children of less than 13, and 312 between 13 and 18, years of age. Many of the population are also occupied in granite quarries, which are extensively wrought for exportation; and within a mile, a mine of manganese, recently discovered, was for a time worked.

c.1886

1773 - Alexander Smith, a local wigmaker, became the sole owner. Smith's grandson, Alexander Pirie succeeded his grandfather in 1800. Two years later the mill produced it's 1st watermarked paper - Pirie 1802.
1844 - Alexander Pirie had introduced 3 Fourdrinier, or power-driven machines, developed the mill's range of fine papers, and more than doubled its production capabilities. 
1875 - Products were sold in most countries around the world. The Pirie's also won Premier Gold Awards in exhibitions in Paris (1855), Philadelphia (1862) and Sydney (1876). 
1882 - The Limited Company was formed, only to be amalgamated in 1922 with Wiggins Teape.
1970 - The company was the subject of another takeover, this time by BAT Industries.
1990 - The company demerged from BAT Industries forming Wiggins Teape Appleton
1991
 - a merger between Wiggins Teape Appleton and Arjomari Prioux formed Arjo Wiggins Appleton
2000 - Arjo Wiggins Appleton accepted a £2.2bn takeover bid from Worms of France forming Arjo Wiggins

This House, built 1769 with main part c1840/50. A small and plain classical Laird's House with a ruined stable block of 1797, with pepperpot turrets and a raised battlemented central section.

It latterly served as a Dormitory for the Calico Printing Apprentices at Woodside Works and is now the headquarters of the NE River Purification Board.  Also known as Persley Castle. But  it was known as the Barracks when it was 1st built and was used to house children who were the sweat shop-labour in the calico-printing business.

The District
A Post-Office under that of Aberdeen has been established; and facility of communication is afforded by the turnpike-road from Aberdeen to Inverurie, which traverses the valley of the Don in a direction nearly parallel with the road. The scenery is pleasingly diversified by the windings of the River, and the adjacent country abounds with interesting scenery. The Don contains trout and salmon; and fisheries were formerly established on it, but they were gradually diminishing in value.  . 

Loopholed Wall.  - What may be the ruin of a Summer House belonging to Woodside House is situated at the top of the steep South bank of the River Don, immediately North of the walled garden and some 70M East of Persley Bridge. Now reduced to an empty shell, it has 2 storeys and measures 9.1Mm from East to West by 4.6M transversely over a wall of granite blocks. The lower floor has been levelled back into the slope on the South and has an entrance midway along its North side, though this is partly blocked. The entrance to the upper floor is on the opposite side, opening on to a track that passes its South side.  The interior is lit by pointed widows, 2 of them flanking the central entrance in the South wall, one in each gable, and 2 set side by side in the middle of the South wall. The walls are plastered internally and there is no evidence of a fireplace. The wall blocking the lower entrance is built of bricks robbed from elsewhere in the building, and is pierced by a loophole. This modification presumably dates from the 2nd World War and was part of the defences of Persley Bridge, which included a type-22 pillbox, situated on the same bank of the river to the West of the bridge. Woodside House, the seat of Patrick Kilgour, Esq., is a plain modern Mansion, on the West Bank of the Don.

Ye'll min' o' a' our haunts, frae Sclattie doon to Hadagain,
O' Middlefield, an' Scatterburn, an' Charley Gourlay's stane,
O' Warrack's Brig, an' Corsie's Close, and on the Quarry Brae;
The D I's Den, where, seekin' nests, we daundered mony a day.

Ye'll rain' upo' the twa gean trees that stood close side by side,
That spread themsel's by Woodside House in a' their stately pride,
How we, wi' trembling ban's wad pu' the tempting, pendant fruit,
But left aye twa-three loons below, to keep a sharp look out.

Ye'll min' o' auld Kilgour the laird,
wha gae us mony a chase Up thro' the Parks to Hadagain, in wild and furious race ;
Our caps and bonnets aft he took, and rnggit at our lugs,
And whiles his staff upo' our backs wad fa' in thun'erin' thuds.

Ice House: a small building built into a mound on the bank or terrace of the River Don near Grandholm Works and at an altitude of about 22M. It saw only a short period of use, being owned by 'The County Club' between 1718 and 1876. The outer doorway is Gothic in style and behind it there is a short passage-way leading into the circular main chamber which measures 9ft (2.7m) in diameter.  The masonry of the walls is solid and neat, and the concave roof is mainly of brick. The original doors are missing and there is no sign of the Summer House that is recorded as having surmounted the building.

The County Club of Aberdeen was instituted on 31 Dec 1718 by a group of 35 gentlemen belonging to the City and County of Aberdeen.  Monthly meetings were initially held in members' homes, but as the group grew in the early 19th century a permanent venue was established in the Public Rooms in the City. By 1873, membership had fallen sharply and the decision was taken to dissolve the Club.  On previous occasions falling numbers and declining interest in the Club's activities had led to gaps of several years between meetings - the most notable of these being the period from 1744 to 1763, which is thought to have been precipitated by the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 - but by 1873 its old-fashioned traditions seemed to have lost their relevance in the rapidly industrialising City, and the decision to wind up the Club was unanimous.  The Club was essentially a social forum for its members, although from 1755 some provision was made from annual contributions for charitable annuities, and in 1765 it was resolved to spend 1 hour after dinner "communicating what might be useful to the County from what occurred in the reading or the respective situations of the several members" (The Journals of the County Club of Aberdeen, 1718 - 1876 (Edinburgh: Neill and Company, 1878), p. xii).  This resolution led to the instigation of several useful projects, with the Club recommending "the proper repair of the high road as far as Tyrebagger which was being destroyed by carters driving stones" in 1767, and appointing a committee "to consider the best means of obtaining a proper map of the Counties of Aberdeen and Banff, and a survey of the roads" in 1791 ( The Journals of the County Club of Aberdeen , p. xiii).  The County Club of Aberdeen (also known locally as Aberdeen County Club, and in some official literature as The Honourable The County Club of Aberdeen)

Edinburgh Gazette Dec 1822
The LANDS after mentioned; being the remainder of the heritable subjects belonging to, ALEXANDER SHAND, Advocate ID Aberdeen, common debtor, viz.
Those Parts and Portions of the 'LANDS" and ESTATE of COTTOWN called TANFIELD, comprehending, 'interalia' the House, Garden, and Ground, called Bairnshall, and the Mansion-House, Offices, and Garden of Tanfield, lying in the parish of Old Machar, and, County of; Aberdeen.
These lands lie in the immediate vicinity of the town of Aberdeen, are intersected by the Canal, and by the turnpike road from Aberdeen to Inverury, etc., and, from their local situation, might be feued out in Lots to advantage.  The property holds of a subject superior for payment of a feu-duty of one penny, and 'the entry of heirs and singular successors is taxed at a double, of; that sum. The teinds, which have been lately, valued, are included in the sum deducted, in name of public burdens; and the land-tax is redeemed.

Hilton House, the property of Sir William Johnstone, Baron, situated on a rising ground commanding a fine view of the City of Aberdeen, is an ancient Mansion in the cottage style, rapidly falling into decay. The ecclesiastical affairs were under the superintendence of the Presbytery and Synod of Aberdeen; the 1st minister, who was chosen by the male communicants of the Congregation, had a stipend of £150, secured by bond. The Church, erected in 1829, at a cost of £2100, is a handsome structure in the Grecian style, and of the Doric order, containing 1500 sittings; it is light by gas, and attached to it are a Vestry, and a session-room capable of containing 100 persons. It is now held by the Free Church, and the members of the Establishment are erecting an elegant Chapel of Ease. At the village of Cotton is a place of worship for Independents; and there is also in the district a small Gaelic meetinghouse. A school was erected in 1837, and is supported by subscription; it affords instruction to 150 children, and has a small library. A public library, in which is a collection of 1200 volumes, is also maintained; and a library, connected with the Free Church, has nearly 600 volumes. There are likewise a school connected with the Factory at Woodside, and several Sunday schools in which are more than 600 children.

March Stone 50 sits against wall at corner of Don Terrace,  Woodside, near ‘Jacob’s Ladder’; a staircase now closed to public but seen here in its heyday.

Jacobs Ladder led down to the River at the Grandholm Bridge area, providing an improved link between the north and south banks.   The riverside path eventually came to an end at the Grandholm Bridge, now privately owned and closed off to general traffic. On its south side is Jacob's Ladder, a narrow set of 66 steps leading up from the river. It probably meant something different to the mill workers though as they made their way back home after a hard day's work! Both the original set of steps and its newer and wider replacement are closed off and overgrown now.

The present Grandholm Bridge is a private bridge, constructed for the Crombie Mills in the 1920s. Access to the bridge, other than for pedestrians and bicycles, is now controlled by an electronically activated barrier, passes for which are made available to residents of the housing development constructed on the site of the mills in 2004.

White Bridge
In the mid 18th century, the factory producing linen, thread and cloth at Gordon’s Mills moved to new premises at Grandholm. Several thousand people found work at Leys, Masson and Co.  The company erected a wooden bridge over the Don, at a cost of £1,200, to accommodate workers who lived in Woodside. It was private property but others were allowed to use it.  The use of the Grandholm Bridge and Jacob’s Ladder, the steep stairway of 66 steps leading up to Don Street, meant a walk of a quarter of a mile to reach the point on the south side of the river directly opposite the works gate on the north side.  In 1922, it was replaced by a steel Bailey Bridge near the works gate, with a concrete stairway of 97 steps leading up to Gordon’s Mills Road.

River Don runs through Woodside, and mills were built on the banks. There were small schools which struggled to cope with the influx of children. A new school was built in 1834 this is now the Burgh Hall. Woodside School.  Woodside School is on the corner of Clifton Road and Smithfield Road. It is a large granite building, with 2 turrets at the front. The head teacher was Mr Burr. The 1st part of the school was built in 1890, and it was extended in 1902 these dates are on the building. The nursery is in a separate building and has its own garden. There is a large tar playground and a grass field. In the assembly hall there are 2 Dux boards. These boards show the names of all the people to win the Sir John Anderson Dux Award. ref - The Admirable Mechanic. Sir John Anderson and His Woodside Library

The Church
There used to be two churches in Woodside, named the North and South Churches. The North Church is now a block of flats

The March Stones start with Alpha and end with Omega. The route around them is approximately 26 miles long. Woodside March Stones are numbers 51 and 52, and Woodside School is the "guardian" of these stones.

Charges were preferred against Hugh Harper, labourer, residing at 5 Paterson's Court, Gallowgate, Aberdeen, to the effect that, on the afternoon of the 4th November, he had in his possession on the south bank of the River Don, about 20 yards below Mugiemoss Dam, a clip or gaff under such circumstances that it was evident he intended to catch salmon by means thereof, contrary to the Act. Accused was liable to a penalty not exceeding £5, with expenses.  W Rennie, a Water Bailiff, residing at Woodside, stated that he was on duty near Mugiemoss Dam - below the dyke - when he saw the accused on the south bank of the river. He watched accused, and afterwards crossed the river in a boat.  Harper was working the gaff, but when witness came within 20 yards of where accused was working, the latter threw the gaff into the river and made off.  He was caught, however, and his only remark was that they had not a clear case against him.  Another Bailiff stated that he was along with the previous witness when they saw accused working with a gaff. They charge him with poaching.  Previous convictions were proved against the accused, and Sheriff Robertson imposed a fine of £5, with £1 8s of expenses, the alternative being 30 days' imprisonment.



Charles Strachan's Bakery at Woodside and his delivery Fleet

Association - Charles Strachan was born in Aberdeen on 7 May 1907, the son of Edward A Strachan who was a Bakery Proprietor in the City.  Education at Aberdeen Grammar School was followed by his entry in 1925 to the University of Aberdeen as 1st Bursar in Mathematics and Natural Philosophy. This was the start of a close participation in the life of the University which continued, with some important but relatively short periods spent elsewhere, beyond his retirement in 1977 from his Readership in Natural Philosophy, until shortly before his death in Aberdeen on 21 September 1993.

One could hardly have chosen a more auspicious year than 1925 to start on a lifetime in Physics. The quantum ideas which dominated Physics were on the point of making great advances. In Aberdeen, G P Thomson as Professor of Natural Philosophy was engaged in work that would make a key contribution to the experimental basis of Quantum Physics and that would earn him a Nobel Prize. Elsewhere, the same period saw dramatic theoretical developments which were to play a key part in Charles Strachan's career.

Quantum ideas were being shaped into a mathematical theory which could be applied to a vast range of hitherto intractable problems.  Charles Strachan was to be among the young mathematical Physicists who seized on the opportunities thus offered. He duly completed his undergraduate work in Aberdeen with a 1st Class Honours degree. At that time it was standard practice in Scottish Universities for the best graduates aiming at an Academic career to read for a further Undergraduate Degree at Oxford or Cambridge. G P Thomson arranged for him to go to Thomson's former Cambridge College (Corpus Christi), where he undertook an accelerated tripos, attending courses by such great names in relativity and quantum theory as Eddington and Dirac. Charles Strachan achieved the distinction of becoming Junior Wrangler.  He then embarked on research at Cambridge, first under R H Fowler and then under J E Lennard Jones, and was awarded a Cambridge PhD in 1935. Prominent among his pre-war researches were investigations, the earliest in collaboration with Lennard Jones, of the interaction of atoms and molecules with solid surfaces. These papers brought out some important quantum effects in the behaviour of systems of many atoms and presented mathematical procedures which made possible the application of quantum mechanics to the quantitative treatment of these effects. They represented significant early contributions not only to surface physics but more generally to aspects of Solid State Physics which are still the subject of extensive investigation. Part of this work was done at Aberdeen, where he held an assistantship and then a lectureship between 1933 and 1937. In 1937 he was invited by Professor Max Born to take up a temporary lectureship for 1 year in his Department in Edinburgh and he clearly decided that the opportunity of working with this very great theoretical physicist could not be missed. From 1938 to 1946 he was lecturer in Applied Mathematics at the University of Liverpool, being acting Head of Department during Professor Rosenhead's absence from 1939 to 1945.

In 1946 he was appointed Senior Lecturer in Natural Philosophy at Aberdeen, where he was now to remain, shortly after Professor R V Jones was appointed to the Chair of Natural Philosophy. He embarked at once on the exciting if somewhat daunting task of teaching mathematical physics to large Junior and Senior Honours classes in which students returning from the Forces were in a majority. These and subsequent undergraduates in both Physics and Engineering received tremendous benefits from the experience Charles Strachan had acquired and the enthusiasm he maintained for his subject. He is remembered by his students for mental sharpness, his warmth, his humanity and the good humour with which he nurtured even the struggling.

His post-war researches at Aberdeen were varied as regards both the topics investigated and the theoretical methods involved.  They extended to an investigation of how spin-orbit coupling could account for anomalous features of the Hall Effect in ferromagnets but most were concerned with topics in Nuclear Physics. His nuclear investigations commenced with studies of aspects of b-decay, a subject on which he published in 1969 a book.  The Theory of b-decay in which he edited and introduced a collection of classic papers. He moved on to treat the scattering of high energy electrons by nuclei and followed this with studies of electro-disintegration in which a proton or a neutron is ejected from the nucleus by electron impact.  Dr A Watt of Glasgow University, who was one of his research students, pointed out Dr Strachan's prescience in the importance of this last topic, which is still not completely understood and is currently the principal area of research for electron accelerators in Nuclear Physics. He inspired a succession of research students who worked with him on most of these topics.

Charles Strachan's interests were many but particularly mention must be made of his Music. He was an excellent pianist but he decided that full participation in the musical life of the University and the Town required mastering an orchestral instrument and he took up the bassoon. He subsequently led the bassoon section of the Orchestra and hit an unexpected height in bassoon playing when the bassoonist of Liverpool Music Group took ill shortly before a concert in the Cowdray Hall, whereupon Charles stood in for him with what one person present described as 'aplomb'.

That was an occasion on which aplomb was very appropriate but in the ordinary course Charles Strachan was the most modest of people. He will be remembered by those who knew him, and there are many, for his modesty, for his kindness and for his strong attachment to his family. Colleagues in the Department and on Committees benefited greatly from his knowledge and wisdom, and the benefit of his good sense was for some time spread more widely by his work for the Samaritans. He extended a warm welcome to all who came into his circle of acquaintance and took pleasure in the many friendships which resulted. Nowhere was this more true than in the University Common Room where his almost daily visits extended over so many years.

He was elected to Fellowship of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1942 and served on its Council from 1969 to 1972.  His wife Marion, also a Physicist, whom he married in 1939, died in 1971. He is survived by his 2nd wife Nancy, whom he married in 1973, and by his son Edward and daughters Molly and Marion.


WoodsideTrams

As the car approaches Kittybrewster the railway line on the right is the goods branch of the Great North of Scotland Railway from Waterloo Quay, while that on the left is the passenger line from the Joint Station.  Kittybrewster is one of the goods depots of the railway and a centre for the cattle trade, which is responsible for the large number of auction marts in this district, where *'prime Aberdeenshire" is bought and sold for disposal in the  south markets.  A fine view is obtained at Kittybrewster,. looking eastwards, where Powis House, embowered in foliage, is seen in the foreground, with the crown of King's College and the towers of the Cathedral appearing behind, and the sea as a background.  After passing Kittybrewster School, one of the more recent specimens of Aberdeen's elementary public schools, the valley of the Don begins to open up, and the 1st of the paper mills - the Donside Paper Mills - is seen to the right.  

The route now passes through Woodside which till 1891 was a separate Police Burgh, with a population at that time of about 6,500. The district possesses a public park, the Stewart Park (13 acres), opened in 1893 during the Provostship of Sir David Stewart, after whom the park is named.  Woodside has also a fine library, the gift of one of her talented sons - the late Sir John Anderson, of the Arsenal, Woolwich. At Station Road a glimpse is found of the large works known as Grandholm Mills, carried on by J. & J. Crombie, Ltd., tweed and woollen manufacturers. The terminus of the Corporation tramways is close to Anderson Road, by which the Stewart Park can be most easily reached.  As on the Deeside route, the Aberdeen Suburban Tramways have here a connection with the city system, and the journey can be continued to Bankhead.

Robert Yule, Grocer and Spirit Dealer
This photograph, possibly taken when it opened, shows Robert Yule's Grocer and Spirit Dealer shop at 429 Great Northern Road in Woodside, a north-west suburb of Aberdeen. The proprietor's home is next door at No. 427. Yule's shop was here from 1922 to 1972. It can be seen how the right half of the ground floor of the building has been converted into the shop.

Typical Dormer Windows show occupation of the Attics or Garret and it appears the staircase window has been blocked in (Glass Tax?). The 2 shop assistants stand proudly outside in their spotless white aprons. General provision shops such as these were the hub of local communities before the age of the supermarket.


Sir John Anderson of Woodside and Woolwich Arsenal

Sir John Anderson of the  'Dux (Leader) Award' - who was born and raised in Woodside gifted a library to the citizens of Woodside in perpetuity lest interfering hands would rest the award for other purposes. (he knew his compatriots well)

The work of Woodside born  Sir John Anderson, the Royal Arsenal's 1st Chief Mechanical Engineer, was also celebrated for his role in helping to shape 19th century warfare.  The Royal Arsenal was founded in 1671, and designed and engineered the bulk of the British Army's weaponry for nearly 300 years. It equipped forces led by figures such as The Duke of Wellington, Lord Kitchener and General Montgomery.  At the height of the British Empire in the early 20th century it employed 80,000 people and was one of the largest weapons factories in the world. Famous engineers such Marc Isambard Brunel and Samuel Bentham also worked at the Royal Arsenal.
Woodside Library
The library was built in
1882.  It used to be called Anderson Library after Sir John Anderson, who was born and raised in Woodside. It is a large granite building styled like a church.

 

“The Royal Arsenal has made an unrivalled contribution to Britain’s military history. The British Empire was forged in the furnaces of Woolwich, and we couldn’t have won two world wars without the world-class engineering that took place here.  This award places the Royal Arsenal alongside the very greatest engineering feats in the country. With this award we also want to celebrate the work of Sir John Anderson, the Royal Arsenal’s first Chief Mechanical Engineer, whose innovations helped shape 19th century warfare.”

Sir John Anderson was one of the most important, yet most overlooked, Civilian Engineers to have worked from 1842 at the Royal Arsenal. Sir John was the first to gain the title of Chief Mechanical Engineer at the Arsenal in the mid-19th century, and he would later become Vice President of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1868.

Sir John’s impact on the Royal Arsenal, and on British warfare, was remarkable. He oversaw the complete mechanisation of the factories and the laboratory, often designing the machinery himself. After his modernising process was complete, a part which once took a day to produce would take just half an hour. He also invented processes to mass-produce bullets, bayonets and muskets, feeding the huge demand coming from the Empire. He saved one of his most spectacular achievements for the Crimean War, when he turned a 600ft ship into a huge floating factory, ready to supply the men fighting the Russians.

Yet, despite Sir John Anderson’s enormous significance, his name is nowhere to be found in the history books. The Institution’s inscription of the great man’s name on the permanent Heritage Award will go some way to redress that imbalance. Descendants of Sir John, young and old, were present for the plaque unveiling.

Today the site’s heritage is remembered in the Firepower, the Royal Artillery Museum. A museum has been open to the public since 1820, making it the oldest military museum in Britain.


Plumber to Pasha

Frost, James Maurice (Pasha), Born May 03 1838 in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Died Nov 11 1902 in Pera, Turkey

James Maurice Frost (1838-1902) another Aberdonian from the Gallowgate area was also working at Woolwich Arsenal and his prowess as an Engineer came to the attention of Sir John Anderson who offered him a position leading to Artillery Advisor to the Sultan of Turkey which he readily accepted. He went from being Frost (Plumber) in Aberdeen to Frost Pasha in Turkey after a successful career in the the Turkish Arsenal at Constantinople.

Frost worked for John Blaikie & Sons, Dr Patrick Blaikie of Castle Terrace was his Son.

Blaikie, John, & Sons, braziers (to Her Majesty), bell and brass founders, plumbers, gasfitters, lamp and gas-meter manufacturers, coppersmiths, etc., Littlejohn Street. Telephone No. 56. Lamp saloon warehouse, 218 Union street. Telephone No. 65.

Whitehall, October 12, 1887
The Queen has been pleased to give and grant unto James Maurice Frost, Pasha, General of Brigade in the Imperial Ottoman Artillery, and Superintendent of the Ottoman Laboratory Department, Her Majesty's Royal licence and authority that he may accept and wear the Insignia of the Order of the Medjidieh of the 2nd Class, which His Imperial Majesty the Sultan of Turkey has been pleased to confer upon him in recognition of his services whilst actually and entirely employed beyond Her Majesty's Dominions in the service of His Imperial Majesty.
 


WOODSIDE TRAM ROUTE - St. Nicholas Street to Woodside, Woodside to Bankhead.
Route 7 - St. Nicholas Street, George Street, Powis Terrace, Great Northern Road, Woodside. Woodside to Bankhead.

As the car approaches Kittybrewster the railway line on the right is the goods branch of the Great North of Scotland Railway from Waterloo Quay, while that on the left is the passenger line from the Joint StationKittybrewster is one of the Goods Depots of the railway and a centre for the cattle trade, which is responsible for the large number of auction marts in this district, where "prime Aberdeenshire" is bought and sold for disposal in the  south markets.  A fine view is obtained at Kittybrewster, looking eastwards, where Powis House, embowered in foliage, is seen in the foreground, with the Crown of King's College and the towers of the Cathedral appearing behind, and the sea as a background.  After passing Kittybrewster School, one of the more recent specimens of Aberdeen's elementary public schools, the valley of the Don begins to open up, and the 1st of the paper mills - the Donside Paper Mills - is seen to the right.  

Tram at the Fountain Area of Woodside with the Northern Hotel in the background

The route now passes through Woodside which till 1891 was a separate Police Burgh, with a population at that time of about 6,500.

The district possesses a public park, the Stewart Park (13 acres), opened in 1893 during the Provostship of Sir David Stewart, after whom the park is named and meant for the use of Woodside citizens. 

Woodside has also a fine library, the gift of one of her talented sons - the late Sir John Anderson, of the Arsenal, Woolwich.

At Station Road a glimpse is got of the large works known as Grandholm Mills, carried on by J. & J. Crombie, Ltd., tweed and woollen manufacturers.

The terminus of the Corporation tramways is close to Anderson Road, by which the Stewart Park can be most easily reached.  As on the Deeside route, the Aberdeen Suburban Tramways have here a connection with the city system, and the journey can be continued to Bankhead.


Woodside Station
Woodside Station opened in 1858 and provided a local service, which encouraged people to move out of Aberdeen's City Centre and travel to work. This station had a substantial wooden building with a glass canopy, as befitting the high status of the local community.  The locomotives used for the Suburban Service from 1885 were 3 Manson design 0-6-0 Tanks, fitted with Westinghouse brakes to allow passenger workings. The Westinghouse brakes were operated by compressed air and worked on every vehicle in a train, replacing the simple hand brakes on the tank and allowing it to haul the new passenger service. They were to cover the 6 miles in 20 minutes, from the Joint Station and Dyce. By 1888 there were 12 return workings daily.  Current Status: The railway is now single track at this point. The area is quite overgrown, the platform still survives but the station has gone.

In 1912. the Highland Railway sent 2 engines to Inverness every day.  The station opened in 1858 using the drained bed of the Woodside Canal and closed on 5 May 1937.


James Paul's 'Haudagain Tavern' 257 Barron Street Woodside

This view from around 1910 shows Clifton Road looking south at its crossroads with Leslie Road and Hilton Street. Clifton Road runs north from Kittybrewster to Woodside, which was a separate Burgh from Aberdeen until 1891. It was originally call Tanfield Road after the tiny hamlet of Tanfield but was renamed in 1894. These mainly granite terraced houses were being built during the 1890s. On the left of the photo are the premises of A.M. Black, grocer. This corner shop, at 104 Clifton Road, was run by Miss Agnes M. Black and Miss Margaret Black between 1902 and 1940. Their home was at 1 Leslie Road. The windows contain adverts for Rowntrees Chocolates and Fry's Pure Cocoa.


Woodside Hall - 85 Great Western Road - St Machar's Lodge

A fine granite building in almost original condition, St Machar's Lodge Number 319 is still used for its original purpose as the meeting place for the Masons and Eastern Star members.  Of several sites inspected with the best being the `ground used as a garden on the south side of Great Western Road'. Located in the `Tanfield' area, a Feu Charter being prepared on 23rd April 1903, records the Feu duty at 2/- per foot of frontage. It is not known why the decorative painted shields inside refer to `5908' and `5919' as the dates of the work (instead of 1904 and 1915): this may relate to a Masonic system of dating. 

Dated 1904; extended 1915. George Jamieson, Builder. Tall single storey, small basement and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan gabled Masonic Hall with arcaded openings, decoratively astragalled window heads, relief-carved `square and compass' in gable head and fine unaltered interior. Rock-faced granite with contrasting ashlar dressings and coursed squared rubble to sides and rear. Band courses. Keystoned, Doric Columned door piece and pilastered windows.

North (Principal) Elevation - symmetrical. Gabled elevation comprising steps up to deep-set centre door with decoratively-astragalled semicircular fanlight and windows in flanking bays linked at springing line by band course; arcaded tripartite window in gable head with eaves course appearing as cill course and circular plaque above in bolection-finialled gable head with flanking stacks.  Four-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Ashlar-coped skews and beak skewputts.

INTERIOR: fine interior detail in place including timber architraves, panelled doors, tall dadoes and picture rails. Vestibule with black and white encaustic-tiled floor depicting Masonic emblem of square and compass enclosing letter `G', and 2-leaf part-glazed screen door with deep fanlight leading to museum with boarded reveals and panelled timber shutters; ante-room with fixed wall benches. Main Hall with combed ceiling and moulded plasterwork cornices, keystoned arch with fluted decoratively capitalled columns and stencilled Masonic symbols including `BUILT 5908' [sic] and `EXTENDED 5919'; shuttered windows (blocked to exterior). Narrow winding stone stair with boarded timber walls leading to small vaulted polygonal crypt with fluted angle columns and mosaic tiled floor.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low saddleback-coped boundary walls with inset ironworks railings with pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers and gates to N. High flat-coped rubble boundary walls.

Geo Mitchell Confectioner Powis Terrace

Woodside  Rinkie - Picture Palace 407 Great Northern Road
THE WOODSIDE ROLLER SKATING RINK COMPANY LIMITED (in Liquidation).
The Liquidator, James Albert Hadden, Solicitor, Aberdeen, hereby calls a General Meeting of the Company for 10th March 1913, at 4 o'clock afternoon, within his Office, 25 Union Terrace, Aberdeen, for the purpose of submitting his account and report of the winding up of the Company.
5th March 1913.
The Cinema opened 1912 in the old Roller Skating Rink of 1909.  It was closed by, or soon after, 1923.  It then became a Garage, then a Warehouse,  Cheyne's Fish Shop and Reception Rooms, formerly one of the earliest Cinemas in Aberdeen.  Near the White Horse Bar.

A story about a dog which belonged to Mr. James Rait, tanner, brother of Professor Rait of King's College. Rait had a farm at Hilton, where he was much annoyed by a fox. He contrived to set the fox and his watch-dog Tyger by the ears, about a leg of mutton, when Tyger proved too much for the fox.  It is particularly mentioned that this dog Tyger was nephew to the famous Tyger given by Mr. Rait (in testimony of his loyalty) to the Duke (of Cumberland) in a present, in the year 1747, and the son of Old Dublin, the Irish bitch who fought an Irish grenadier of Fleming's Regiment in 1747.  

Great Western Road at the corner of Hammerfield Avenue C1956 a row of shops has been built where there was just a plot of vacant land.  Boots the Chemist on the corner, and next door was the Aberdeen Dairy


Send mail to jazzmaster@jazzeddie.f2s.com with questions or comments about the design of this web site.
Last modified: 01/09/2013